Sunday, June 22, 2008

On hypermiling, camping, and moving crap...

I have been trying to adopt the behaviors of hypermiling, now that I have a car again. Early results are rather interesting, as two fill-ups (at 1/2 tank and 3/4 tank, respectively) have resulted in calculated mileage of 37 and 40 mpg. Of course, I have new spark plugs and fuel cleaning additives, so that may have contributed to the results. Driving conservatively may also be having a big impact. Hypermiling is certainly easier, I would think, having a manual transmission.

At any rate, I am trying to empty the gas tank as much as possible so that my next fill-up results in a more accurate calculation of mpg. Of course, I just got an oil change, and they futzed with the tire pressure, so who knows what my numbers will be this time.

All this talk about insane mileage has me chomping at the bit to take a camping trip. It looks like I am headed for the Upper Peninsula, with the destinations narrowed down to the Keewenaw Peninsula, Pictured Rock National Lakeshore, and Isle Royale. Of these, Isle Royale would be the most interesting, and most taxing. First, it's an island in Lake Superior, and therefore pretty damn far from urban light pollution, which appeals to the amateur astronomer in me. Second, it is almost purely rustic, so no weak campers need apply. Third, bugs bugs bugs.

That said, I am all shagged-out, having moved a lot of my crap from my brother's apartment to my own--something postponed by the lack of a car, in part. I am way out of shape, which would seem to bode ill for any trip to Isle Royale, too. Harrumph.

No comments: